Residential Sewer Connection Permitting
To acquire a building permit for a single-family residential building or for a multi-unit residential building, where each unit in the building has a separate connection point provided on the sanitary sewer main, a Sanitary Sewer Connection Permit must first be issued to the Property Owner from Johnson County Wastewater (JCW). Existing residential buildings connecting to sewer from a septic system or holding tank must also obtain a sewer connection permit.
The following information is required for issuance of a Residential Sanitary Sewer Connection Permit:
- Correct building address.
- Correct legal description of property including: lot number, subdivision name, and plat number or, if the property is not platted, the full boundary description.
- Name, address, phone number and e-mail address of the property owner.
- Name, address, phone number and e-mail address of the builder.
- Names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of the interior and exterior plumbers.
- A copy of the plot plan showing the entire lot, the building and the proposed routing of the building service line shall be provided under any of the following conditions as applicable: septic to sewer, more than one building on the lot connecting to sanitary sewer, large lots that require more than 100 feet of service line on the lot to serve the building, or for lots that are to either be split, combined with another lot, or platted. Please see the JCW Service Line Design and Construction document for service line requirement information.
The 2012 and 2013 permit fee total for a standard single family home is $3,458.00. For information on connections for all other structures, additions, usage changes, etc., please contact the JCW Permit Group at 913-715-8520.
Once all required documents are provided to JCW, please allow one (1) business day for preparation of the Residential Sanitary Sewer Connection Permit.
Please see the paragraph below for information regarding Service Line Repairs.
This application is for a Single Family Residential Permit in a platted subdivision. If the lot is not platted, please contact JCW at 913-715-8520 to request the permit. Please select the Submit button at the bottom of the page to submit your application. You will be notified by e-mail when your application is processed.
ONLINE APPLICATION - Link to application
You may also call the JCW Permit Group at 913-715-8520 to request a Residential Sewer Connection Permit. Please provide the information listed in t his checklist when requesting a Residential Sewer Connection Permit.
PDF 35 KB, 1 page
According to the Johnson County Wastewater Sewer Use Code, sewer permits shall be issued to the Property Owner. The single-family residential property owner may provide JCW with the Residential Letter of Representation , authorizing the representative named in the letter by the property owner to execute the permit on the property owner’s behalf. Complete the information noted in the letter and submit the signed original to JCW for permitting. The letter language may not be modified.
PDF 11 KB, 1 page
Service Line Design & Construction Standards - Version 2011
This document lists JCW design and installation requirements and material specifications for sanitary sewer service lines and appurtenances.
PDF 58 KB, 6 pages - Updated 7/2011
This detail sheet is available in PDF and AutoCAD formats for use on the Sanitary Sewer Commercial Permit Site Plan at the following links. The detail sheet includes cleanout, tee orientation and riser, manhole base section, standard embedments, reinforced concrete encasement, standard pre-cast manhole (eccentric & shallow-type), saddle, concrete collar, impervious ditch check, flexible wall connection, concrete manhole adapter, casing pipe and end seal, etc. details.
This document provides definitions, permit requirements, pretreatment requirements, enforcement remedies and other regulations for the use of the sanitary sewer system in the Johnson County Wastewater service area. Sanitary sewer connection and modified use permit information can be found in the Code.
PDF 847 KB, 76 pages
Service Line Repairs
Under the Johnson County Sewer Use Code, service line repairs are required to be inspected by JCW to verify the repair work has been completed in accordance with JCW Service Line Design and Construction Standards – Version 2011. The are no fees for repair inspections. Please contact the JCW Permit Group at 913-715-8520 to request the inspection or for additional information about repair requirements.